Choquequirao trek 5 days | 4 nights
DAY ONE: Cusco – Cachora – Capulliyoc – Playa Rosalina:
We will set out from Cusco by private transfer at approximately 1:30 AM. After a four hour drive, we arrive in Cachora (2,900 MASL), then continue on to Capulliyoc (2,915 MASL) to meet with the rest of our trekking team. On the way, you will enjoy splendid early morning views of the Apurimac Valley stretching out below us, and of the snow-capped peaks of Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora (5,482 MASL). Afterwards, we will hike through the eastern slopes of the Andes until we reach Coca Masana (2,330 MASL). The temperature will become warmer and we will observe changes in the flora and fauna that surround us. Towards the end of the day, we will arrive at Playa Rosalina (Rosalina Beach) at 1,550 MASL to set up camp beside the rushing waters of the Apurimac River.
DAY TWO: Playa Rosalina – Maranpata or Choquequirao:
After breakfast, we will head out to reach either Maranpata or Choquequirao at approximately midday. We will explore the archaeological site and acquire a deeper knowledge of the area's history. We will admire the beauty and observe the inspiring flight of the condors that appear in the skies around Choquequirao. Towards the end of the day, we will head onwards to Raqaypata to have dinner and make our camp for the night.
DAY THREE: Choquequirao all day:
This day is dedicated to enjoying the sights and learning about the long history of Choquequirao. Through a guided visit we will come to know more about each sector of the site and observe the three excavated levels of this late Inca town, witness excavations in progress, and finally see unexplored areas that can also inform us about this final refuge of the oppressed Inca empire. Time will be spent to enjoy the majestic flight of condors and if we are lucky they will approach us very closely. In the afternoon, we will return to our campsite to have lunch and bask in the stillness of Choquequirao.
DAY FOUR: Choquequirao -Santa Rosa – Chiquiska:
DAY FIVE: Chiquiska–Capulliyoc-Cusco:
Early in the morning after breakfast we continue to climb for approximately four hours until we reach Mirador Capuliyoq, where we have our last lunch together. After lunch, we take a five hour drive back to Cusco.
- Private transportation from Cusco - Capulliyoc.
- Professional bilingual (Spanish / English) guide.
- Mules for transportation of equipment, food, and personal luggage (maximum 7 kg/15 lbs per person). Wranglers will be responsible for the animals.
- A cook will prepare all meals.
- Cooking equipment, tent, dining tent, chairs, tables, etc.
- Four season tent (a 3 person tent for every 2 individuals).
- Thermarest sleeping pad.
- Meals: 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, and 4 dinners; all food will be suitable for trekking and rich in carbohydrates.
- Boiled water provided at meal times to refill your water bottle.
- Entrance fee for Choquequirao.
- Private transportation back from Capulliyoc to Cusco.
Your breakfast on the first day and dinner on the last day.
What you need to bring:
Original passport and International Student Identification Card (ISIC) if applicable. An insurance card is also essential.
- Waterproof hiking boots (with ankle protectors)
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable trousers
- Rain pants
- Sunscreen (SPF 35 recommended minimum)
- Insect repellent with at least 40% DEET (for mosquitoes)
- Water bottle
- Water purification tablets (Micropur recommended)
- Toilet paper
- Personal medication
- Camera and films
- Torch with spare batteries (flashlight)
- Cash for tipping porters, cook and guide, and for any emergencies (around 400 soles)
- Walking poles (Black Diamond or Leki brand recommended)